Normally, it is not a good idea to shock a well on a regular basis. It is only recommended that a well be shocked one time, when it is a new well or if it tested positive for coliform or ecoli bacteria and has never been shocked before. If you have iron bacteria, sulfur odors or if it has been shocked before and the bacteria came back, it is best to treat that outside of the well so you do not create larger problems in the future. If you must shock the well then we would recommend you follow these instructions to do so.

Pour two gallons of regular unscented Clorox® bleach down into the well head.

Pour two gallons of regular unscented Clorox® bleach down into the well head. Let the chlorine sit in the well for an hour. Go to the farthest faucet from the well and turn on both hot and cold water all the way until you either smell chlorine, or you can test for chlorine using a swimming pool chlorine test kit. Once you smell chlorine, turn off the cold water and let the hot water continue to run until you once again smell chlorine. Hot water will usually take longer because the water has to work it's way through the hot water tank. Once you smell the chlorine on the hot water side shut off at that faucet and go and open up every faucet in and outside of the house including washing machines, hose bibs, dishwashers and flushing all toilets. Once you have chlorine at the farthest faucet all the other ones will generally come up quite quickly. Shut off all water every where and let it sit at least over night or for 24 hours if you can. After 24 hours turn all faucets on in the house until you no longer smell chlorine and flushing all toilets, running a full cycle in the washing machine and dishwasher while they are empty. That is it, you have now shocked your well and disinfected all your water lines.

Remember, chlorine is very volatile, it is dangerous to work with in small or confined areas. Make sure the area is well ventilated. Also, you should wear safe clothing and equipment when shocking your well. Wear goggles to avoid contact with your eyes. Wear rubber gloves to protect your hands and rubber boots for your feet. Wear coveralls or waterproof clothing.

As always please do not hesitate to call and speak with one of our expert technician if we can assist you in answering any of your water treatment questions.